May 21, 2012

Violet look-a-like

Shopping at the supermarket recently I went to the magazine stand to check out the sewing magazines. There's Burda Style, Burda Easy, Burda Plus and the Danish/Swedish magazine "Sömnadsmagasinet" ("The Sewing magazine"). And in the latter there were some really cute 50s inspired models, a dress, a blouse and a skirt. The blouse looked kind of like Colette's Violet, which I've been thinking of making. So I thought, why not try to make this one and see how it goes, since I've never sewn a collar or a placket.

Cute, isn't it?!

I traced the pattern for size 46/Am size 20, and read the sparse instructions MANY times. But in the end it wasn't that difficult, I managed both the collar and the placket, although I couldn't be bothered to make buttonholes on my muslin, because it didn't turn out great. Wearable maybe, but not great. Let me show you...

 It looks OK, when I'm just standing.

 But if I hold out my arms you can see that it's just too big around the bust.

Detail of the sleeve.

The collar looks wonky, but it is straight.
The changes I will make, because I think I will make it "for real", are: size down around the bust, lengthen it a bit, put elastic in the sleeve hems instead of making a band AND find some cute fabric because this did not look good on me!

Now, I'm going to watch "Alcatraz" on TV, Sam Neill still looks good.... :)

Bye for now,


No comments:

Post a Comment